Friday, December 18, 2009

A Pinch of Austen With a Little Zombie On Top

After I finished reading "Water for Elephants" a couple of weeks ago I was in a bit of a reading funk because I had no idea what to pick up next. When my mom came up for Thanksgiving she brought Dan Brown's new book "The Lost Symbol" for me to read. Since then it has just been sitting on my bookshelf collecting dust, I finally decided to pull it down and crack it open. I'm about 50 pages in and I can already tell it's not going to be as good as the "DaVinci Code" was. Add to that my gradual loss of desire to read the book and I doubt I'll be finishing it.

So, in my hunt to find a new book to read, I stopped by Barnes and Noble and browsed the shelves trying to figure out what I should pick up next. As I passed one of the tables I saw a book titled "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" now if that title doesn't catch your attention I don't know what will. I picked it up and read the back of the book and cracked up because I loved the whole idea of zombies in a "Pride and Prejudice" setting. Of course, being the conscious price shopper that I am I didn't buy the book right there because Barnes and Noble is outrageously over priced, but then when I found it at the next store I went to grocery shopping for 4 dollars cheaper I grabbed it up.

I think it's going to be a very interesting read. Not to mention, it'll give me a jump on the movie that was just announced to be in the works, starring Natalie Portman no less, as well as a graphic novel adaptation of the book coming in 2010. It seems this whole zombie phenomenon isn't going to be losing steam any time soon so I might as well jump on the bandwagon for a little while and see what the fuss is all about.

No comments: