Thursday, November 11, 2010

Finally! The Old "Glee" Returns

Spoiler Alert: If you haven't watched this weeks episode of "Glee" you'll probably want to skip this post.

This weeks episode of "Glee" was so good. It reminded me of the old "Glee" where it wasn't so much about the music as it was about the storyline and the music complimenting that. Although, this episode the music kind of got in the way. I'm glad to see character development show up once again.

So, Kurt's mysterious love interest finally makes an appearance. His name is Blaine ("Blane? His name is BLANE? That's a major appliance - that's not a name!" I'll let you be my BFF if you can guess what movie that quote is from).

I like him. He's cute and charming and nice, which is just what Kurt needs after the bullying he put up with from that behemoth jackass that keeps locker checking him. I swear every time that hulking ignoramus pushed Kurt I wanted to kick him in the face along with everyone else who just walked by. In spite of that, it was interesting to see the development behind that character.

I did have my suspicions, he was far too interested in targeting just Kurt for him to be anything other than a total closet case. I did like how the writers played it though. It makes sense, the way he's been bullying Kurt. He's seeing something in Kurt that he's too afraid of confronting in himself, so he lashes out at Kurt in an attempt to hide that part of himself. Not that I'm feeling at all sympathetic towards the bully, but it's nice to see the writers add depth to a character who before today mostly remained in the background.

Also, Schuester showed a little of his old self as well rather than that pathetic jerk he turned into some where between the end of last season and the beginning of this one.

All around, it was a very good episode with some real writing for a change. Hopefully, it'll stay like that, but I'll have to see it to believe.

No comments: