Sunday, October 18, 2009

Slight Dilemma

A few posts back I mentioned I've been slowly dating this girl, and that we get along pretty well the biggest problem being trying to get our schedules to match up since we both go to college full time and work.

Well, we were talking and she told me she has a kid. At first I was kind of in shock but I didn't let it show on the outside so that I didn't upset her or anything. On the inside I was going, "Wait. What? She has a kid? She had sex with a dude to have a kid? That doesn't make sense, she said she's known she was gay since she was really young. Crap, what have I gotten myself into?" She is only a few years older than I am so I wasn't even expecting her to have a kid and it really threw me off base.

I suppressed my urge to leave and got her to tell me the story behind everything and found out she's married and that's when she had her son. She and her wife went to Canada and got married a few years ago and after their relationship fell apart they found out they can't get a divorce without movie to Canada for a year or something like that.

I'm sitting there trying to keep my jaw from hanging open and running for the nearest exit. I feel like an asshole for saying that, but that's exactly how I was feeling. I was thinking in my head "I'm only 21, I'm so not ready to be dating someone with a kid."

Which brings me to my dilemma. How do I let her down easily without hurting her feelings? She is a nice girl, but I think she's looking for something more serious than what I can give her right now, and I'm just not at all comfortable knowing she has a kid.

If I knew dating was going to be this stressful I would have avoided the whole situation altogether.

No comments: