Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Imaginary Friends With Benefits

[Update 1/14/2010] You're more than welcome Miss Wojcik. Thank you for the traffic you're sending my humble little blog.


Yesterday I posted a video from YouTube of a song called "Anglerfish" by Hailey Wojcik that I found while surfing the net. I was so smitten with the song that I did what I always do when I fall head over guitar for a band/musician; I scoured YouTube for even more music by them.

I am happy to report that I wasn't disappointed. In fact, I was completely blown away, this girl is amazingly talented and I can't believe I haven't heard of her before now. She kind of reminds me of Julia Nunes of YT fame but even better because she has expanded her musical sound to incorporate a multitude of instruments.

As sort of a reference for why I have suddenly fallen so in love with Wojcik's music, the two things I look for in music is how well composed the song is and the lyrics. For an example on the music I always check to see they use more than just the standard guitar, bass and drumset. Which she more than measured up to with her song "Luck" where she was accompanied by a tuba and accordion as well as other instruments.

The other thing I look at, after the instrumental composition, is the lyrics and again I was more than surprised because every song tells a story with educated literary references on more than one occaision and a better than average vocabulary.

As far as her vocals she's slightly reminiscent of Ingrid Michaelson but at the same time she is in a category all of her own. If you think you might like her in the slightest, then I strongly recommend you get her album A.S.A.P., you won't regret it. And hey, would I ever steer you wrong? Okay, I would if it were for something funny, but music is something I take very seriously. So just get it, no questions asked. And if you don't like it I will personally apologize.

Well, this music obsessed girl has to get to class now. Happy hump day!

No comments: