Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Filled With GLEE

For those of you that haven't tuned in yet, Glee is a new show that was picked up by FOX about a high school Glee Club and their struggle to make it a successful club. There's tons of singing and dancing, humor and satire which I love, but there's something I love more and it's the fact that the show is not afraid to tackle important issues.

SPOILER ALERT

If you haven't seen tonight's episode then what are you doing on my blog?! Go watch the episode, like, NOW. It's on Hulu. Go, shoo, and skip the rest of this post so that I don't give anything away.

Now, in tonight's episode alone they covered both teen pregnancy and coming out to a parent. While teen pregnancy has been addressed several times in a number of shows and movies, I still applaud Glee for tackling the issue, but it's how they handled the topic of coming out that I was really impressed with. Many shows, when addressing the issue of homosexuality, give it a negative connotation, especially the idea of coming out to a parent, there's usually a lot of screaming, crying, threatening to kick the kid out, etc., etc., you get my point. But this time there was none of that. They made it simple, they didn't draw out the angst of Kurt denying who he was and lying to his father, he was just honest with his dad and there was no fighting and crying, his dad may not like the idea of Kurt being gay, but that doesn't change the fact that he still loves his son no matter who he is.

That is why I fell so hard for this show. Glee wasn't afraid to tackle an extremely important issue in an honest and open way. What struck a chord in me is that Kurt coming out to his dad reminded me so much of when I came out to my mom. Coming out to a parent, or parents, isn't always a traumatizing experience, it can be scary, but it doesn't have to be hurtful.

No comments: