Thursday, December 9, 2010

A Gleeful Christmas Filled With Traditions

After the new Glee Christmas themed episode this week I've had Christmas music on my mind constantly. I have yet to buy the Glee Christmas album, but after hearing Chris Colfer sing "Baby, It's Cold Outside" I'm definitely going to. I wasn't expecting to hear a male duo sing that song which is traditionally sung by a male and female pair, but of course I loved it immediately.

How can you not love that cuteness?

Growing up, my Grandfather really influenced my love for some of the great classics; Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra, Louis Armstrong, Patsy Cline, Dean Martin, and so many more. He was always humming or whistling music by those amazing artists. And without fail, every year when winter set in, I would always catch him singing "Baby, It's Cold Outside." Since then, it has always been my song of choice for the winter season.

Another tradition I have, every year around this time I scour my iTunes for all of the Christmas music on there to create a kick ass Christmas playlist. While all of the classics, Bing Crosby, Burl Ives, Motown Holiday, bring back memories of childhood Christmases spent with family I like finding modern Christmas music by young artists or completely original music.

Here is the list I created this year :
(Click the links if you want to listen to the song on YouTube)

1. "Merry Christmas Baby" by Brighten Ft. The Maine (Starting things off once again this year, this is such a great song.)

2. "Baby, It's Cold Outside" by Zooey Deschanel and Leon Redbone

3. "Last Christmas" by Wham! (I also have three other versions of this song by The Main, Jimmy Eat World and the Glee Cast, I think it's safe to say I like this song just a little bit.)

4. "Santa Stole My Girlfriend" by The Maine (This is a completely adorable and amusing Christmas song)

5. "Christmas Tree" by Lady Gaga Ft. Space Cowboy (I couldn't resist adding this one. I love all things Lady Gaga and she even manages to make a Christmas song dirty.)

6. "Mistletoe" by Colbie Caillat

7. "Don't Shoot Me Santa" by The Killers

8. "My Only Wish (This Year)" by Britney Spears (Don't hate, I've liked this song since middle school)

9. "Little Drummer Boy" by The Almost

10. "Christmas, Baby Please Come Home" by Anberlin

11. "His Favorite Christmas Story" by Capital Lights

12. "All I Want for Christmas" by My Chemical Romance

13. "Sleigh Ride" by Relient K

14. "Ho Ho Hopefully" by The Maine

15. "Santa Baby" by Everclear

16. "I Believe in Us (This Holiday)" by A Rocket to the Moon

17. "Santa Clause is Thumbing to Town" by Relient K

18. "Christmas Won't Be the Same Without You" by Plain White T's

19. "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Clause" by The Jackson 5 (This one is such a Christmas classic that I couldn't help sneaking it in.)

20. "Merry Christmas, Here's to Many More" by Relient K

I hope you're enjoying your Christmas season this year, don't forget to spread plenty of joy and cheer around then have yourself a cup of grandma's special eggnog.

No comments: