Thursday, October 14, 2010

NaNoWriMo

I've decided to participate this year in NaNoWriMo, or National Novel Writing Month. For those of you that don't know what that is, I'll explain. No wait, let me sum up.

For the entire month of November participants have to write a 50,000 word novel. In the sake of meeting that goal things like writing style, editing and plot no longer need to take precedence. All that counts is cranking out those 50,000 words by midnight November 30th and that you crank it hard. As the site put it, "December is for editing."

I'm excited because this will be my first time participating in NaNoWriMo and my first time ever trying to write a novel. I have a vague idea of what I want to write about. A year ago I wrote a short story that I had forgotten about and came across last month. When I read it I remember thinking, "why didn't I write more?" But I don't know for sure if I'm going to stick with that one. I plan to sit down today or tomorrow and build an outline and see if I find the story interesting enough to build on. What I do know is, I'm going to win. I like a challenge and when I set a goal for myself I take it seriously and this is one of those times.

If anyone else is participating I wish you tons of luck and you should definitely be my writing buddy on the site!

No comments: