Tuesday, November 3, 2009

My Granny

Bet you thought I wasn't going to update today? To be honest I thought I wasn't going to be able to either, but I figured I would take a moment before I crawl into bed to write a short post.

Today was a pretty busy day. I usually have class til about 4 p.m. and then I decided, since I really didn't have any homework that I needed to get done for tomorrow, I would go see my great-grandmother. She lives about 20 minutes or so away from me, and while that doesn't seem like very much distance, it's enough to where I can't just make a quick trip every week to go see her, what with work and everything else keeping me busy.

So whenever I find a gap in my day where I don't have anything I need to get done immediately I'll drive over to her house to spend some time with her. Usually, when I go over I'll try to bring something to cook for her that she can't normally make herself. My Granny is about 95% blind, where if you were to hold a dime between your thumb and index finger at arm length away, then turn everything black and white, that's about as much as she can see anymore. So it really limits what she can cook for herself.

My Gran is such a sweetheart, every time I make her dinner she always thanks me so much even though I tell her she doesn't have to, that it was my pleasure. Most of the time we both end up cooking anyway, because she'll hover around me while I'm cooking looking for something to do so I'll have her do little things to make the cooking process go a little faster, and whenever we're done she never lets me help her wash the dishes no matter how much I argue. It makes me smile just thinking about her 87-year-old self getting sassy with her great-granddaughter over who gets to do the dishes.

Well, tonight while we were cooking we had the news on and I was listening to it periodically while I was keeping an eye on the food in the oven, when something caught my attention. It was an interview that ABC did with Annise Parker who is trying to become the first elected openly gay mayor in Texas. So I took a moment to watch the interview and got pissed off when the reporter tried to pressure Ms. Parker into talking about being a lesbian when she said she was only going to talk about her policies.

Of course, me being me, I started to argue with the TV going on a rant about "What does talking about her being a lesbian have to do with her political policies?" "that's disrespectful" blah blah blah, I don't know what all I said because I was just mad at that point. As I walked back into the kitchen in a huff, my Gran goes "You're right, but some people aren't as open minded and just want to stir up drama." That completely caught my attention. While I know my Gran is a very sweet lady and always has her own opinion on things that matter, I never realized how open minded she is.

I've never openly come out to her either, so I don't think she was just saying that to support me. Quite honestly, I don't think I need to come out to her, because one, she probably doesn't care (and besides who really wants to tell their great-grandmother "I like girls" which is inevitably translated to "I want to sleep with girls"? certainly not I) and two, I'm 21, I've never once brought home a "boyfriend", if she hasn't guessed by now, then who am I to burst her bubble? Especially when she has never asked if I even have a boyfriend. But my bet is on her already guessing, she's a sharp old lady and I wouldn't put it past her adding two and two together.

After dinner, I hung around for a couple of hours watching TV with her and just talking. The new show "V" premiered tonight and I had been wanting to catch that so I watched it and explained to her what was going on at the same time. It was a really nice relaxing way to end my day.

So that's my Granny for you, she's an awesome lady and I love her to bits and pieces.

No comments: