Tuesday, September 13, 2011

So. Tired.

This whole working 40 hours a week and taking 15 credit hours is not leaving me with very much sleepy time. Although, surprisingly I have managed to keep up with my homework in all of my classes thus far. In all honesty though I haven't had that much. I have an outline on a paper for my Health Care class due in a week and I still haven't picked a topic.

The reason I'm taking the class is because it was a subject that I'm not at all familiar with. I figured it would fulfill a graduation requirement and I might actually learn something at the same time.

I didn't plan ahead on that one.

Now it appears that might prove slightly detrimental to my grade if I don't pull something out of the hat soon.

I'm not too worried though, I always come up with something.

To go slightly off topic but still stay in the range of talking about class, let's do a review on my professors, shall we?

We've got:

Professor Baldy, who teaches my Media Management class. I like him, he even reminded me to respond to one of our class Blackboard topics when I forgot, instead of just docking me the points.

Then there's my Shakespeare class with Professor Don't-worry-we're-not-going-to-do-a-lot-of-acting-in this-class. We've had to act out a scene in every class so far.

I also have Professor Talks-too-fast-to-understand-half-of-what-he's-saying and Professor Corn Dog. So named because he tells terribly corny jokes at the beginning of every class. Trust me, they're so bad they don't even bear repeating.

And last but not least, because he's the one I really wanted to talk about,
there's Professor "Right?"

Just to give you a little context, this guy is the one teaching my Communications in Business class. He's supposed to be teaching us how to properly communicate in a business setting and he also happens to be the Professor that teaches Public Speaking as well. It drives me nuts being in his class. It's not the material, that's fine, your basic Comm stuff so far; sender, receiver, decoding the message, symbols and their multiple meanings, context, etc., etc., ad nauseam.

No, what bugs me about this guy, is at the end of every sentence he tacks on the question, "right?" I noticed he did it a lot on the first day but it didn't really bother me because I figured it was just first day jitters, since we were his first class to teach at the university, blah blah blah. Not a big deal, he'd drop it eventually.

Wrong.

The second day of class we were 15 minutes in and I wanted to bang my head on the table, he kept saying "right?" so damn much. Finally, I couldn't even listen to him, all I kept waiting for was the "right?". I started keeping count. Every time he said "right?", I put a little tally mark at the top of my paper. I gave up when I got past 300.

The class is only an hour and 15 minutes long.

Today it was a challenge but I managed to get past a few of the "right?"s to at least make it bearable. He's a nice enough guy and all, and I do find the class interesting, but good lord if you're a professor that teaches Public Speaking you should at least be a little more conscious of what you're saying, or better yet, what you might be communicating with that reflexive "right?".

No comments: