Thursday, September 23, 2010

Chuck me full of Glee and call me Dexter

This post could potentially be full of spoilers if you are not completely updated with each series. You have been warned!

As I sadly wave goodbye to my summer shows, Rizzoli & Isles, Drop Dead Diva and Covert Affairs, my feelings of sorrow can't help but be short lived as I warmly embrace the return of my favorite fall shows.

"Chuck" returned this week with a flash. Despite promising his sister, Ellie, to quit the spy life, he jumps back into it feet first in search of his long lost mother. I couldn't be more excited about this storyline considering dear old mom is being played by none other than the original Sarah Connor herself, Linda Hamilton. And having Sarah Walker back on my TV screen on a weekly basis also helps keep my world right side up. Not to mention, if she keeps it up with those "sexting" photo shoots, I might die a happy girl from here on out.

*Side Bar* (Since when did sexting mean "sexual writing"? I was always of the opinion that the definition of "sexting" was a shortened version of "sex texting" or "sexy texting" or if you proper English speaking people would have it, "sexual text messaging". Anyway, I could probably debate this issue with myself for hours so I'm just going to stop now and leave that question for you to answer for me. ) *End Side Bar*

Additionally, the fanboy-head-exploding guest appearance of E4's Olivia Munn, was fun, but if you blinked you might have missed it and should immediately re-watch the episode. So as the fall season progresses I look forward to seeing more of "Chuck" and Sarah Walker and Sarah Connor - I mean,...Chuck's mom.

Next up...I wave my gleek flag.

Season 2 of Glee also premiered this week. While I enjoyed the entire episode as a whole, I can't help but knit pick about a couple of things.

First, is it just me or does it look like Lea Michelle's lips have grown? In the first minute of the episode I was more distracted by that than the Jew-fro which is saying something.



Second, nationals? Really, writers of "Glee"? Why didn't you just come out and say it?
News Flash: McKinley High's New Directions Beat Vocal Adrenaline at Regionals to Move on to Nationals in NYC.

Way to give that plot line away.

I'm also interested to see where things are going with the two new characters, Sam and Sunshine. (Did anyone else think Sam looked a lot like Maxxie from Skins in that first shot of him?


Maxxie


Sam

I had to do a double take before I noticed enough differences.) Other than that, I'm glad to once again have Brittany's one-liners, Kurt's adorableness and Sue Sylvester's awesomely biting dialogue back in my day-to-day life.

This Sunday brings the season premier of Dexter. If you didn't watch the finale of season 4, then you better hop to it before Sunday because you're not going to want to miss this. After living for 6 months on the cliff hanger that was last season, I'm dying to find out what's going to happen next.

From what I can discern from the trailers I threw out the theories that it was all a dream, a la "Dallas". And have now moved on to the theory that one of the plots is going to be Dexter having to fight for custody of Aster and Cody from Rita's mother, putting a strain on his serial killer lifestyle yet again.

It's going to be nice for fans to finally get some answers and to once again embrace our inner Dark Defenders.

As far as new shows go, a few look interesting. I watched the pilot of Hawaii Five-O, and while I was too young to watch the original when it aired, I'm not even sure I was born yet, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to check back in with Grace Park (Boomer/Athena from "Battestar Galactica") who will be playing a barely out of the academy police officer in the special unit and a regular on the show.

And boy was it worth it to see her surfing in a bikini. Thanks to that wonderful sight, I'll definitely be keeping up with the show from now on.
Yowzah!

Thursday a new show called "My Generation" premiers. From what I can tell it follows a group of people 10 years after their graduation from high school, contrasting where they dreamed and planned to be then, to where they are now. I'm hoping it turns out to be as interesting as the trailers make it look.

Last but not least, thanks to iTune's Free Episode link, I downloaded the pilot episode of "The Event". While I originally had no particular interest in the show, and the price couldn't get any better, it was the one line review that called it the love child of "Lost" and "24" that made me laugh and ultimately pushed me off the fence and decide to watch the pilot at least.

So there you have it, my weekly line up of shows in one post. But if you think you'll know where to find me most nights between 8 and 10pm then think again. Thanks to the wonderful invention of on-demand with Comcast, I can now watch most of my shows whenever it best suits me. Ah, the wonder of technology. Now all I need is an iPad and a Slingbox and I can watch my shows whenever and WHEREver I please. Looks like I better start writing Santa early this year.

No comments: